background

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Celebrating Sacrifice

It's memorial day today. Rarely do I stop to think about the freedom I enjoy here in the U.S. and sadly, I probably even more rarely consider those who have given their lives so that I can enjoy the benefits of freedom. I hate to confess that, but it is true. 

We had friends over tonight for a cook out and to let all of our kids play, and when Brent blessed the food, he took a moment to thank God for those who had paid the ultimate price for our freedom here in the US. Then taking the logical next step, he thanked God, for sending his son to pay the ultimate price for our freedom from sin and death. I was convicted that I had not meditated or honestly even really thought on the reality of that sacrifice today - when on a day dedicated to sacrifice, you would think that it would be on the forefront of my mind.

Thank you God, for sending your son. Thank you Jesus for dying the death I should have died.

Romans 5:7
7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 

Lately, the days slip away from me quickly and I fear that I am not living with the intention I want to (and that I am called to). I pray that tomorrow, by the power of the Holy Spirit I might live a life that is focused on the Gospel and that my life would demonstrate the hope for which I live. Christ in me, the hope of glory. 

Maranda

No comments:

Post a Comment