background

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Is the plural of squash, squish?

So, when we moved into our new house back in January, one of the things I was excited about was the opportunity to finally have a garden. I confess I tried to grow a tomato plant in a pot, in the shade by the front door of our little condo. Needless to say, over the course of the whole summer, I produced one, pathetic, itty, bitty tomato that tasted like crap.

I am undaunted.

So, come April of this year, I took my shovel to the clay soil, dug up the ground and planted my little fledgling plants. And lo and behold... would you believe it!? They are still alive, and dare I say, some may even be thriving! Here are my first fruits!
Now, I can take or leave squash quite honestly... it's the tomatoes that I am really waiting for. But in honor of actually having my own produce, I made fried rice tonight, and you know I diced up some squash in there and it was dang good! I would have made a hibachi chef proud! :)

So, as long as I can keep Sassy A and Mr. Jenkins from picking the unripe veggies (see picture below of what would have been my first ripe heirloom tomato), I hope to enjoy and share more garden delights in the coming months.


Maranda

No comments:

Post a Comment