background

Friday, June 3, 2011

Spontaneous Road Trip

When I woke up this morning, I had an ambitious idea. It had been a long time since I had taken the kids out to visit Brent's family and I decided I'd like to try to get over there today. It is a good hour and half drive (not quite that long, but I always have to stop somewhere for a beverage or sustenance so that adds a few minutes!). However, I was not optimistic about my ability to get myself and the 3 kids ready for a 9 am departure so that we could get sufficient visiting time in before we'd have to leave for naps. So, I kept my desire to myself and just went about the normal business of the morning. Breakfast, diaper changes, dressing (and re-dressing) children, checking email, getting myself somewhat presentable, packing snacks and food, extra clothes and diapers in the diaper bag, etc. At 9:10 we were all sitting in the garage in the mini van, and as I backed out of the drive, I called Grandmom and Granddad to see if we could come for a short visit.

I hated to be so non-committal about my plans, but I just didn't have confidence that I could pull it off until I was literally in the car. 

All this to say, we had a great day. We loved seeing Grandmommy and Granddaddy (Sassy A. in particular had been asking to see them) and as a bonus we got time with Debbie (my mother-in-law) and with my sister-in-law, Gretchen and her son. Gretchen is super prego and looks amazing. I hate her a little bit because I can guarantee that I did not "glow" as she is still managing to do despite this late date in her pregnancy. We stayed and had lunch with everyone - chicken salad made by Grandmom is a deliciously tasty delight!

We headed out around 2:00 so the kids could nap in the car. Now under most circumstances when I plan for the "car nap" to occur, it will not happen, so imagine my delight when there was nothing but the sound of Eli's snoring. All three kids napped... heck even the dog slept!




After we got home, we enjoyed time outside playing in the kiddie pool, which by the way was a lot less stressful than it was the other day! And yes, that is my basil plant by the pool... I was letting the sprinkler water it... I was conserving water, or multitasking, or something... you know, no sense in letting that water go to waste! Save the whales! Oh, and yes, Sassy A. is eating basil leaves. Basil counts as a veggie, right?

Right.

I knew I was doing my part to ensure that she had a well balanced diet. 



Oh, and by the way, if you are wondering what Chili C. was doing whilst all this wetness was occurring? Well, she was just being her chill little self! Love that girl!

Maranda

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you need to bother to save the whales. As Father Guido Sarducci of SNL said, "If you save-a the whales, where ya gonna put them?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I guess you are right Trish! :)

    ReplyDelete